Here is a sampling of some of the truths your child will learn about Reconciliation:
- Jesus desires to be our friend. By our baptism, we entered into friendship with God by receiving his grace. When we sin, we break our friendship with God.
- Jesus is the promised savior who restores our friendship with God. There are 3 persons in One God: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We choose between right and wrong using our intellect and will. Our conscience guides us in these choices. We’ll learn how to examine our conscience, and the difference between mortal and venial sin.
- Jesus forgives me when I am truly sorry, and he’s always ready to forgive. The priest forgives in Jesus’ name – Jesus gave him that authority.
- God calls us to forgiveness in the sacrament of Reconciliation. This sacrament helps us grow closer to God. God is always with us.
- Reconciliation is one of the Sacraments of Healing, because it heals us from our sin.
During this semester there are also lessons on Advent, the Immaculate Conception of Mary, the Liturgical Calendar, and Christmas that fit with the season.